Vodka sour is a refreshing, sweet and sour cocktail you can mix in five minutes or less. Check out this simple vodka sour recipe and try it today!
This cocktail recipe asks for:
- 2 shots of vodka
- 1 shot of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Simple syrup (or another sweetener)
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1 egg white
- Lemon slices to garnish
It’s a delicious mix if you like sour cocktails in general, but you can also replace some of the ingredients to get different flavor profiles.
The drink needs minimal prep time. Just gather all your ingredients and follow these steps:
- Add the vodka, lemon juice, syrup, Angostura bitters, and egg whites to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously for a few minutes (dry shake, without ice).
- Add ice cubes to the cocktail shaker, and repeat.
- Strain in a cocktail glass or an old-fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a lemon slice or maraschino cherry.
If you don’t have fresh lemons or syrup, a sour mix can also do the trick.
This classic cocktail packs more calories because of the frothy egg and syrup, but the taste is worth it.
Here are the key facts you should know:
- Nutrition serving: One glass
- Nutrition calories: Around 150 calories, depending on how much simple syrup you use or its substitutes
- Nutrients breakdown: 7g carbs, 0.2g protein, 0.2g saturated fat
- Alcohol content: Standard drink with 35% ABV for an 80-proof bottle
The classic recipe is ideal for many occasions, both at home and on a night out. It’s a treat for anyone who already loves sour cocktails, though you can increase the sugars to cut down on the tart flavors if necessary.
This easy cocktail works well with fatty and heavier foods and even sweet desserts. This is true both for the classic recipe and any variants, like the cherry vodka sours.
Here are a few food pairing ideas to try:
- Creamy risottos
- Pasta Carbonara
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Fish or seafood-based dishes
If the traditional vodka cocktail recipes don’t do the trick for you, give these variants a shot:
- Cherry Vodka Sours: Just add some grenadine to the mix, and you get a classic cherry vodka sour recipe.
- Vodka Gimlet: Skip the egg white, bitters, and swap the lemon for lime for a classic Vodka Gimlet.
- Whiskey sour: Try the version with bourbon, not vodka, if you want some spicy notes in your cocktail.
Go beyond the classic vodka sour recipe, and try these ingredient substitutes:
- Homemade sour mix: You can skip the lemon and simple syrup if you add your sour mix.
- Aquafaba: Use it to replace the egg whites to get a vegan-friendly cocktail. Other starchy liquids also help create the foam.
- Flavored syrup: Add subtle notes to your vodka cocktails through the syrup, like grenadine, to get notes of pomegranate flavor.
- Bottled lemon juice: Fresh lemon is best, but with bottled juice, you can skip the sweetener.
- Flavored vodka: Add cherry vodka or other flavors to infuse slight hints of new aromas into your cocktail glass.
The perfect vodka sour is simple and hassle-free, but it can also make room for a lot of experimenting. Try it out as-is, or add your personal touch to it like a hint of cherry flavor, your secret sour mix, or skip the egg whites for something vegan-friendly.
Either way, remember to always add ice and shake! This simple cocktail needs both a dry and wet shake, no matter its variants.