Sex On The Beach is a child of the 80s, and for decades, it’s been the go-to boozy drink for those with a strong love of vodka and an even bigger love of fruity flavor combinations.
Learn how to make the best Sex On The Beach drink below.
This cocktail’s provocative name has earned it many giggles over the years. Its origin isn’t well known, but it’s believed it came about as a way to promote peach schnapps.
Here’s the classic Sex On The Beach cocktail recipe:
- 1 1/2 ounces of vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces of peach schnapps or another type of peach liqueur
- 2 ounces of cranberry juice
- 2 ounces of orange juice
- Orange slices and maraschino cherries to garnish
- Take a hurricane glass with ice cubes and add your vodka, peach schnapps, cranberry juice, and orange juice.
- Stir gently with a spoon, and top with an orange slice or a maraschino cherry.
- Serve right away, and enjoy.
This fruity cocktail has a refreshing taste and is surprisingly light.
One glass of Sex On The Beach contains:
- 202 calories
- 0.1g fat
- 19g carbs
- 17g sugars
- 0.4g protein
- Around 11% ABV
These tips can help you improve your Sex On The Beach cocktail-making skills:
- Shake instead of stir: The classic recipe is served on the rocks, but you can also use a cocktail shaker to mix the drink as well. Doing so mellows the taste and helps the ingredients blend better, but it will also dilute the vodka slightly and make the drink less potent;
- Not just a beach drink: The Sex On The Beach cocktail is a classic spring break and summer cocktail, but don’t limit it to trips to the seaside. This drink makes for a great treat at home, during a barbecue, or at a house party for a few friends.
- Presentation: The cocktail is served in a tall glass, with the hurricane glass being the ideal choice. If you don’t have one, you can also use a highball glass.
- Food pairings: Serve this cocktail with a fresh fruit platter or seafood meals to get the most delicious pairings.
The Sex On The Beach recipe should be tried as-is at least once. But after that, you can indulge in any of these great variations:
- Virgin Sex On The Beach: Enjoy this classic drink sans vodka and peach schnapps. Use the cranberry and orange juices, and add a splash of peach juice instead. It’s great for kids (though maybe you should present it with a different name) or days when you don’t feel like drinking;
- Use other sweet fruit juices: This beach drink is versatile, and you can use other types of fruit juice to create unique combinations. Grapefruit juice is a popular addition, but feel free to get inspired by your other favorite beach cocktails.
- Add lemon juice: Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the original recipe to give it a stronger citrusy note. Be careful not to add too much unless you want a sour taste.
Sex On The Beach is a simple drink with a low prep time that should have a standing invitation to any summer party.
Add vodka, cranberry, peach schnapps, and orange juice to a glass and enjoy a unique sweetness that will cool you instantly.