A Mudslide cocktail is the perfect dessert for adults. It calms your sweet tooth while giving you a pleasant and mild buzz.
But you don’t have to enjoy this dessert cocktail only when you go out. Learn how to mix it at home below.
The Mudslide is a rather simple cocktail, but it does require investing slightly in your liquor cabinet. Still, once you gather all your ingredients, you’ll have lots of cocktail servings waiting for you.
Here’s how to make the classic Mudslide drink:
- 1 ounce of vodka
- 1 ounce of Irish cream
- 1 ounce of coffee liqueur
- 1 1/2 ounces of heavy cream
- Chocolate syrup or shavings to garnish
- Get a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes.
- Add the vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, and heavy cream.
- Shake vigorously until chilled.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Top with chocolate shavings or syrup.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
The Mudslide is a calorie-heavy drink because of all the sweet liquors and additional chocolate syrup or shavings.
Here’s what one serving of the Mudslide contains:
- 248.3 calories
- 5.3g fat (3.3g saturated fat)
- 23.3g carbs (22.1g sugar)
- 1.7g protein
- Around 29% ABV
The Mudslide is a boozy milkshake, but bear in mind that it has a matching strong boozy kick. You might not feel like it as you’re sipping on this creamy cocktail, but give it a few minutes, and the spirits will make their presence known.
Here’s how to serve this sweet cocktail the right way:
- Make it a dessert drink: The Mudslide is delicious, but its signature sweetness and full body mean it’s not the easiest drink to enjoy when you want something refreshing. Instead, serve it next to or even instead of a dessert after you and your guests are finished with the main course.
- Buy top-shelf ingredients: To get the signature flavor profiles, you should invest in quality coffee liqueurs and Irish cream liqueurs. Interestingly enough, the strong flavors of the liqueurs also mean you can get away with a cheaper vodka.
- Pour over big ice cubes: The Mudslide should never get warm. Strain it into a glass, and add a large ice cube or ball to prevent the drink from diluting.
Here’s how you can tweak the Mudslide:
- Frozen Mudslide: The Frozen Mudslide recipe calls for vanilla ice cream instead of heavy cream. Add everything to a blender with ice and mix until smooth. You can top it with whipped cream or shaved chocolate. It also works with other flavors, such as chocolate ice cream.
- White Russian: Skip the Irish cream and mix vodka, coffee liqueur, and cream or milk, served on the rocks.
- Use flavored vodkas: Add subtle notes to the Mudslide, both the classic and ice cream versions, by using vodka with flavors like vanilla, chocolate, caramel, or anything else you like.
- Change the proportions: You can change the ratio of ingredients to your liking to make this cocktail as heavy or light as you want.
- Spike with whiskey: If you’re not a fan of Irish cream, add a splash of Irish whiskey instead. This makes the drink lighter but gives it that signature whiskey flavor.
The Mudslide requires minimal prep time. Just get a tall glass, add vodka, Irish cream, and coffee liqueur, and shake until chilled. Serve with chocolate shavings on top, and enjoy a creamy and decadent treat.
And if you want to take this drink to the next level, try the ice cream version as well and treat yourself on a hot day.