The Greyhound is a simple, two-ingredient drink you can make at any time and for any occasion. But even this simple cocktail recipe can be taken to the next level with a few key tips.
Check them out below.
The Greyhound cocktail is made from only two ingredients: vodka and fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice.
Some recipes also call for a dash of simple syrup to add extra sweetness, but that’s optional.
The classic Greyhound cocktail is refreshing and tart. Here’s how to make one:
- Take a glass filled with ice cubes.
- Add 2 ounces of vodka.
- Pour 4 ounces of grapefruit juice.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with a lemon or lime wedge, and enjoy!
The Greyhound cocktail has virtually no prep time and doesn’t even require a cocktail shaker.
The Greyhound cocktail is a low-calorie, light drink you can indulge in at almost any time. Here’s the cocktail’s nutritional profile for the original recipe:
- 176 calories
- 0.2g fat
- 17.1g carbs
- 16.9 g of added sugar
- 0.9g fiber
- Around 12% ABV
This refreshing drink is even better if you follow these key tips:
Get some grapefruits from the store, squeeze them, and add them over the spirit and ice to make a tart and refreshing drink.
Bottled ones are a lot sweeter and completely change the flavor profile of your Greyhound cocktail. If you can’t use fresh, be sure to add some lemon or lime to the cocktail glass instead.
The Greyhound is a light drink that pairs well with almost any food, but summer dishes are the best combo. Think salads, light pasta dishes, and anything that relies more on fresh produce.
If you’re having a party and some of your guests don’t like tart and sour flavors, have some simple syrup or other fruit syrups on hand to make the Greyhound friendlier.
The Greyhound cocktail works for any occasion, such as happy hour, brunch, birthday parties, or even to enjoy on your own.
If you’re throwing a big event, make the drink in a large pitcher and serve it punch-style.
The Greyhound cocktail can be the basis for other delicious drinks. Here are some other recipes to try:
- Salty Dog: It’s exactly like the Greyhound cocktail, except the glass has a salted rim.
- Italian Greyhound: This cocktail uses vodka and Campari to get bitter and stronger drinks.
- Gin Greyhound Cocktail: You can use either gin or vodka to make this grapefruit cocktail. The gin version has bolder juniper and herbal flavors, while the vodka version puts more attention on grapefruit juice alone.
- Grapefruit jelly: Some say the initial recipe used gin and grapefruit jelly, and it’s a combination you should play with at least once.
- Vodka Cranberry: Mix vodka with cranberry juice to get an equally refreshing but sweeter drink.
- Paloma: Shake tequila and grapefruit juice together, strain into a glass with ice and enjoy a strong and slightly exotic drink.
- Garnish with frozen fruit: Instead of ice cubes, you can use frozen fruits like sweet berries or even citruses. As they melt, the fruits blend with the grapefruit juice and give these cocktails new tastes.
Whether you try it with gin or vodka, this grapefruit cocktail is a great secret weapon to have ready for any party.
The trick to this simple drink is using fresh grapefruit juice. Do that, and expect any Greyhound cocktail you make to have that signature refreshing and light taste.